Location: Columbus, NC
Position: Veterinary Assistants | Surgery & Medicine
Available Schedules: Day Shifts | Night Shifts | Swing Shifts
Plus weekends as needed. Hours are variable. Overtime as directed
Pay: Commensurate with experience
Education/Experience: Registered Veterinary Technicians or equivalent based on education or related experience. In addition, a minimum of one year of related experience.
Application Process: e-mail letter of intent and resume to email@example.com.
Job Description: Assist veterinarian(s) as they provide preventive care, diagnose injuries and illnesses, and perform medical procedures on patients.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assist veterinarian(s) with appointments, which may include, but not be limited to: driving to or from appointments; preparing treatment area for examination of patient; restraining and jogging horses during examination and treatment procedures; assisting with and/or performing diagnostic imaging and treatments using appropriate protection and safety measures; assist with unloading from or loading on trailers.
- Administer intravenous and intramuscular injections, perform venipunctures, apply wound dressings, perform catheterizations, and take vital signs.
- Collect blood samples as required and perform routine laboratory tests, document results, and communicate with the appropriate veterinarian.
- Submit or analyze lab samples as required.
- Prepare patients, medications, and equipment for surgery (if applicable) and assist the veterinarian during surgical procedures.
- Responsible for post-surgical or post-treatment cleaning procedures.
- Help to maintain the cleanliness of the facility (i.e., washing floors, sweeping, cleaning, disinfecting surfaces, cleaning treatment and surgery areas, etc.)
- Organize equipment, supplies, and drugs required for daily appointments, including restocking the veterinarian vehicles and treatment rooms.
- Maintain all written compliance logs with complete documentation.
- While traveling with a veterinarian, responsible for recording information in compliance logs, performing call backs, complete documentation, and client follow-up.
- Assist with the overall maintenance of the clinic and facility, including bathrooms and lab area.
Excellent horse handling skills | Excellent time management skills | Legible handwriting | Ability to lift 75 -100 lbs | Ability to restrain up to 1,200 lbs | Equine experience | Good computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel | Excellent communicator | A valid driver’s license |Strong organizational and follow-up skills
Tryon Equine Hospital offers exceptional benefits for full-time positions: Employer Contribution to Health Insurance & Supplemental Insurance Options | Annual Paid Time Off | 401k with up to a 4% Employer Match | Veterinary Care Discounts